Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Need To Do It On My Own Way

I went to my phone’s service center to buy a new case for my phone. With it goes a free screen protector. I asked if they could assist me in putting the screen protector because I don't know how to. I was told to wait for sometime because they are still waiting for their employee who is really good at putting screen protectors. When she I arrived, I immediately recognized her. She was also the one who assisted me before. I asked her if its possible if she could finish before 8:30 pm because my husband and I already bought movie tickets and we want to make it before the movie starts. She said, she will try her best yet cannot guarantee because If ever she’ll rush it, the protector might not stick properly on the screen and I will just be wasting time. Then I told her, I know you can do it because you were also the one who assisted me before and I have seen how you work. She smiled and thanked me and told me that she could no longer remember how many times she’s been putting screen protectors and she no longer recognizes the face of her clients.
I watched her carefully as she cleaned first the glass screen of my phone. She did it very slowly and several times. I couldn’t even see a speck of dirt on my phone screen yet she cleaned it as if there's gazzillions of dust on it. She told me that if its not properly cleaned it will create tiny bubbles and she will have to do it all over again. She took a scatchtape, folded it and had both ends of it stick together. Then she used it to clean the screen aside from the cloth she uses. I decided to trust her because in the first place she’s been doing it countless times already. She has mastery over it. No one knows it better than she does.
Then I told her that I’ll just tell my husband that we will wait even if we will be late for the movie she then said, “maam wait lang po, konti na lang may fiber po kasi, tatanggalin ko lang”. I looked at her work and from my point of view, fiber? How can she recognize it when all I could see is crystal clear screen. Yet I observed her as she took off the protector and cleaned the screen again. I definitely couldn't find the fiber she’s telling me about.
When it’s finally done, I looked at my phone and am so happy with how impeccable her work was. It was perfect. She was the best. I will never find anyone to handle changing of my phone’s screen protector but her. I thanked her and my husband and I got inside the movie theater just in time.
To relate this with what I’m about to share. Before I went to the service center, one of my mentees, a Core Team called me up and told me that one of the aspiring Core Team members who's currently undergoing the process of becoming a Core Team told her, “ I am interested in joining the Core Team but I need do it in my own way muna”.
I can’t help but laugh as my mentee told me about it. Why?
I remember around 5 years ago when I was about to check out an island on the eastern part of the country. I had limited time then and could no longer stay for another day in town. Travel time from the town to the island is about 2-3 hours by boat provided the weather is good. That time, it wasn’t. The people were telling me not to proceed because the waves weve very strong. Looking far off sea, I know that what they were telling me is true because there seemed to be white foamy bubbles visible in the middle of the sea. My friend, who happens to be a Master Scubadiver, taught me that because she knows I often travel by sea and that information never failed me.
I imagined how strong it’s going to be knowing that the place is already part of the Pacific Ocean. Pacific ocean waves during that time of the year is huge. Then I told our agent, to let me talk to the boatman. We went to the boatman and asked him, “Manong sa tingin niyo ba kakayanin natin makarating sa pupuntahan ko? I told him the name of the place and the specific name of the island. The boatman said, “kaya po, pero kayo po ba kakayanin niyo? Kasi maalon po ngaun”. I said, “opo wala pong problem sa akin, ang importante po ung sa tingin niyo kung kaya natin makarating sa pupuntahan natin”. He said he is definite we will get there and assured me we will get there. He said that being a boatman has been his entire life. Then I asked him to show me the boat we’re about to use going to the place. I have been used to going from one place to another using different boats usually from medium to large and the boat he showed was definitely far from the ones I have experienced using going to islands. The boat is really small; assessing it I think it could only accommodate around 4-5 passengers including the boatman. It’s definitely a surprise to me and I suddenly felt a slight doubt whether it could really take me to the place.
I had experienced working long-time ago in the Tourism Office in Palawan. Every year, from hotels, pension houses and its facilities, bed etc…. transportation from tri-cycle, buses, jeepneys, motorcycle and boats undergo regulation. If it will not pass tourism certification, it cannot be used for any tourist activities. The place is really not yet a popular place for tourists and they don’t have yet the same system Palawan has when it comes to regulating such facilities. Then I asked the boatman again, “Manong, sure talaga kayo na diyan sa banka niyo makakarating tayo sa pupuntahan natin ha?” instead of answering me yes or no he told me that his boat is maybe small but it has never failed him for decades already. I kinda thought, there’s a always a first time and I just pray we wont be the first. I admit I had my doubts yet trusted him because it’s his business. He has achieved a certain level of mastery and distinction whether it’s safe or not safe. I remember boat people somewhere in the pacific, can determine where they are without any knowledge about sea navigation with only the waves as their direction. Still, worst comes to worst, I asked myself, if we get hit by a wave and Manong cannot handle it, will I be able to handle it? 50/50 I can or can’t because I can swim but that still is not a guarantee however looking at Manong and trusting his experience, I know we will make it.

As promised, we arrived safe and sound at the place. Yes, the waves were huge and unpredictable compared with the waves I have experienced before, there were times I thought of telling him to go back yet I trusted him. I decided to keep quiet and let him be. It was truly a bumpy ride but we made it. I was able to get what I need and was back in Manila just in time.

What am I saying here? We can never do it alone. Doing it alone has always been the blindspot of intelligent people as well as people who are self-sufficient, resourceful and independent. They unintentionally exclude others from decision-making. Every degree of isolation in which we separate others erodes momentum. Doing it alone is playing small. Every successful person knows that you can never make it on your own. Maybe you will but in a small pathetic way.

The aspiring Core Team who said that he will first do it on his own is depriving himself of the success he is looking forward to. He was asking for something yet using the same formula he has been used to doing for the rest of his life. The funny thing was, the task given to him was not designed for him to solve using the same level of thinking he uses in the past. The task we give in the community requires a different level of mindset. It was not designed for one to use an employee or self-employed mindset because that is not what we teach in the community. Its an entire different world, entire different experience and one must accept that to accomplish it, he/she must be an empty cup. I remember a true story of a smoker who went to a doctor and asked the doctor to help him address his lung problem. The doctor told him to quit smoking. You know what he did? He went to look for another doctor who will tell him not to quit smoking yet will just give him medicine. Unbelievable. The same thing with a lot of Filipinos. If you ask them, "gusto mo ba talaga yumaman?" They will tell you, "oo naman," and if you tell them," then mag business ka" most of them will answer back, "ay ayaw ko mag business risky".

The 101 reasons of that aspiring Core Team has lost its meaning because he is more committed to doing things on his own rather than committing to the success he declared for himself. As I remember coaching my mentees, it was like it’s a hidden commitment, if its cake, the 101 reasons has become an icing on top of a shit. If you eat the cake, what do you think will be the taste? You won’t even recognize the taste of the icing, what will come out is the smell and the taste of the shit underneath it.

People who are used to doing it alone are afraid of trusting others. The funny thing is, anything important in this world, requires trust. You love someone, you trust. You do long-term business with someone, you trust. There’s no guarantee you will not get hurt or people will keep their promise, still before you can start, you need to trust. People who have difficulty moving forward have difficulty trusting. People who are stuck with the same stories of heartbreaks, failed relationships, failed businesses and tell themselves they will not trust again are simply fooling themselves. I like the attitude of Japanese people when it comes to trust, they say, “no amount of paperwork or contract can protect you from a person who from the very beginning has decided to fool you.” So at the end of the day, can you handle it? A samurai warrior, when they go into battle they have accepted that dying is inevitable. So they give their 100% when they fight in battle. In life, failing is inevitable. No matter how much we try to avoid failing or getting hurt, in life we will. I remember what my mentor told me, “pag na broken hearted ka ba, hindi ka na magmamahal ulit?”

The only thing that is sure in this world is that we are going to die and pay our taxes.

So if you are an aspiring Core Team, you have to prepare yourself for what is about to come. If you cannot trust the community to support you in achieving what matters to you and teach you to become a successful person, nothing we will do to assist and support you can move you forward. You are simply wasting your time telling us you want to make things happen yet when the time comes when your determination is tested, you give up. I heard one successful business and philanthropist said when he experiences difficulties, “everyday I choose not to give up”. Realize that we too have a choice to make everyday, we can choose to be in this together or not. To be in this together, you need to trust and sometimes, over and over again to make it in life.

I remember what J. Paul Getty, a Billionaire, said, “I'd rather have 1% of the effort of 100 men than 100% of my own effort”. The former is called leverage or working smart and the latter is called working on your own. In this community we teach you to make use of the former and trust others. This is why you can never make it and you will only get frustrated if you try accomplishing tasks that requires you to make use of the former while you on the otherhand uses the mindset of the latter to accomplish leverage task.
Total disconnect. Just remember the cake I told you, is that what your dreams and 101 reasons are?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are currently undergoing the Core Team process and experiencing difficulties, schedule for coaching and consultation. Start working smart and quit working alone.

Entrepreneur Coach is inviting you to join her exclusive online business community www.ca2020.net and Create Abundance International Community at facebook http://createabundance2020.com  Read what community members say about Create Abundance at http://iloveabundance.vox.com. 

Posted via email from Entrepreneur Coach

No comments: